To establish proper preventative measures to protect children/youth against sexual misconduct as well as to specify courses of action in the case of allegations or an actual incident regarding sexual misconduct.
Standard of Conduct
All workers, volunteer, paid, full-time and part-time, of Riverside Covenant Church are expected to comply with the established policy on Sexual Misconduct. Any actions contrary to the church policy will be dealt with swiftly and may include disciplinary measures up to and including termination, as well as legal ramifications when applicable.
Riverside Children/Youth Worker – any person, paid or volunteer, who supervises or assists with supervising children and/or youth under 18 years of age while children and/or youth are participating in Riverside Covenant Church events, ministries, educational opportunities, trips, or other activities organized by Riverside Covenant Church.
A. Pre-screening of Riverside Children/Youth Workers
- Refer to Riverside Procedures for Pre-screening of Riverside Children/Youth Workers.
B. Reporting Procedures
- All allegations of abuse must be taken seriously.
- All allegations should be reported to the local police department and a Riverside staff member as soon as possible.
- The local police department and/or Riverside Staff should notify the parents or legal guardian of all children involved.
- All situations will be handled forthrightly with due respect for people’s privacy and confidentiality.
- Full cooperation will be given to civil authorities when applicable.
- No accused will be addressed by anyone other than the local police department and/or Riverside Staff until the safety of the child or victim is secured.
- No victim involved in an allegation or anyone responsible for reporting an allegation will be retaliated against.
C. Investigation of an Allegation
- All allegations will be investigated expeditiously by the local police department and Riverside Staff.
- Any accused Riverside Children/Youth Worker will be relieved temporarily of his or her duties until the investigation is completed.
- All details, interviews, and information will remain confidential to those legitimately involved in the investigation. Any individual or group responsible for a breach in this confidentiality is subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.
- No individual involved in an allegation or anyone responsible for investigating an allegation will be retaliated against.
LT Approved 03/15/16